Important Things to Look For In a Dog Toothpaste
Just like humans, dogs can suffer from bad breath. It is important to give utmost attention and concern to your dog’s oral health not only for proper hygiene, but also because bad breath can mask underlying medical problems.
One of the most sure-fire ways to improve your dog’s dental health is to brush your their teeth daily with dog toothpaste. This reduces the possibility of plaque and tartar build-up. But before reaching for the nearest toothbrush and toothpaste in the vicinity, make sure you know exactly what you are doing.
Here are some guidelines in deciding what toothpaste you should use for your beloved pet:
- Never use toothpaste intended for humans to clean your dog’s teeth, always use dog toothpaste. Fluoride may be harmful to your pet’s stomach. Plus the foam present in normal toothpaste can be an unpleasant experience for your dog.
- Flavor is also important. Most animals don’t prefer an over-bearing minty taste, and choosing a flavor like “bacon” or “beef” can also keep their breath smelling undesirable (fake meat isn’t exactly pleasant). It’s best to use a toothpaste that has virtually no taste at all, like our Pet Dental Gel.
- Look for toothpaste that is made with safe ingredients. Avoid using a product that is abrasive and dental paste made with alcohol and artificial sweeteners.
- In finding the perfect toothpaste that will work well with your dog, you may want to buy a small tube first. This will avoid you from spending too much if your pup doesn’t like it.
- You can check if your dog likes the toothpaste by letting your dog sniff at the product first. Give your dog a treat when he licks at the product. This would make the dog feel reassured that he did something good.
Of course, if you have never brushed your dog’s teeth, it will probably be uncomfortable at first. But with time and repetition, they will become used to it! (Anything for a treat, right?) 🙂 Brushing their teeth can be a nice way to bond with your pet.
For a dog toothpaste that you can always trust to be safe, effective, and vet-recommended, check out our Pet Dental Gel!